Friday, July 11, 2008

Sandy Springs Police Department


The other night I visited the Sandy Springs (GA) Police Department. Lt Steve Rose meet with our neighborhood watch group to give us advice. He is a very funny and personable detective.

Walking around the building I had some quick impressions.

1. The equipment for officers today is (no surprise here) light years ahead of what we used in the 1970's. Computers on every desk, laptops in every car, better lights and security hardware for the cars and Glock pistols. Good for the Chief - he is trying to give the officers the very best.

2. There was a bulletin board with leather belts, bandannas and photos of tattoos. It hit me. Gangs - in very suburban Atlanta. Without exaggeration, I think we need to eradicate the gangs. The same way we need to guard against terrorists.

I hope my books become successful. I promise to lobby hard for better salaries and better benefits for the first responders. They are our front line.

No comments: