Monday, June 2, 2008

Walking a beat versus riding in a police cruiser







I read over the weekend that the Atlanta Police Department is assigning new recruits to foot patrol. If they are paired with an experienced officer I think this a great idea.
The new police will get to know the citizens faster and make a great impression on the neighborhood. I walked as a University Police officer in downtown Atlanta for a couple of years. You learn to pay attention and always know what is going around you. I enjoyed walking a beat.
But, when I became a DeKalb County officer I was always in a car. It is a suburban county and you needed a car to go each call. The good news was DeKalb always had the fastest cars, the most powerful service weapons (Colt .357 magnum revolvers) and the best training. I was very proud to be a DeKalb officer. I think it is still the same - DeKalb is among the best agencies in the US.
The image above is the model I drove from 1976-1980.
John Fedack







No comments: